Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dried Vegetables Flakes

My newest weapon in my kitchen-device arsenal is my dehydrator — thanks mom! At Christmas we got an Excalibur; with that name it really sounds like a weapon.

One thing I like having in the house is dried vegetable flakes. You might ask, "what does one do with these other then make soup?" I place about 2-3 tablespoons in my homemade pizza dough. That way his cheese pizza is really a veggie and cheese pizza. You can also toss them in crackers or soups.

Now you ask "why make your own?" Well, the vegetable flakes you buy at the store often have preservatives added and home-made ones just taste better.

In the summer when the vegetables needed for this are at their lowest in cost I will probably make a huge batch but until then I will make a little as I need it.

Ingredients:
2 carrots
1 red bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1 handfull dried mixed mushrooms (about 1/4 cup)
1 small zucchini

Directions:
Slice all of your fresh vegetables. The trick for dehydrating is to try to cut them all the same thickness. Once they are all sliced; place them on your dehydrator trays in a single layer (no overlapping). I like to do one tray for each type of vegetable. If you are lucky enough to have a dehydrator with a temperature dial set it at 125˚F. Check it after about 4 hours your carrots will probably be done but the rest will probably need some extra time maybe 2 more hours or so.

Once they are done they should feel completely dry and crisp.


Using scissors cut them in small little squares. Do the same with the dried mushrooms.


Now you have home-made dried vegetable flakes; store them in an airtight container and use as needed. This recipe made about 3/4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment