Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Snow and Waffles

One of our monster's all-time favourite breakfast food are waffles or in his lingo "dip dip". This morning when we woke up and saw the white snow covered world we knew it was a dip dip kind of morning.





For our waffles we always use the same basic recipe as a guide and change it up a bit. The recipe is originally from Serious Eats; but we have even altered the base recipe as the original one had too much oil and white flour for my liking. So today I present you first our basic waffle recipe and then how we changed it up today...


Basic Dip Dip


Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 2 egg yolks

  • 1 3/4 cups milk

  • 1/4 cup canola oil

  • 2 egg whites



Directions
Combine in first bowl flours, baking powder, salt. Make a well in the centre.
In second bowl beat yolks slightly add milk and oil.
Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and mix just enough to wet dry ingredients.
In third bowl beat egg whites until they form stiff white peaks.
Gently fold egg whites into other mixture.
Cook as per your waffle iron direction.
Serve with real maple syrup.
Freeze left overs and reheat in toaster oven another day.


Snowy Saturday Morning Dip Dip

I always try to hide healthy stuff in my waffles; I discovered I can put almost anything in them and the monster will still eat waffles. So here is the new ingredient list as per what I made this morning - I want to note that the measurements here are approximations as I just kinda throw everything together.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

  • 1/2 cup quinoa flakes

  • 1 tablespoon quinoa flour

  • 1/3 cup crushed almond slivers

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3/4 cup finely shredded carrots (about 1 large)

  • 2 egg yolks

  • 1 3/4 cups milk

  • 1/4 cup canola oil

  • 2 egg whites



Directions
Follow the directions for the "basic dip dip" adding the new ingredients as follows:

Add the quinoa flakes, quinoa flour, carrots and almonds to the flour mixture.

Shredded carrots; I find the smaller I can make them the more likely my son will not notice them.


For the almonds I just took regular almond slivers and mashed them for a minute or so with the bottom of my measuring cup to make the flakes smaller and less noticeable.


We ended up serving the waffles with maple syrup and having a "jus rose" on the side along with half a banana. Our juice was a mix of milk, orange juice, blueberries, raspberries and a banana; their was suppose to be raspberry yogurt in the juice but the monster decided he wanted to taste the yogurt before it going in the juice and then preceded to eating it all. He also stole my banana during juice making and ate half of it.



I'd like to point out that both the raspberry yogurt and the banana eating was a first for my son; so maybe just maybe all my hard work at ensure that his taste-buds are used to all sorts of flavours is paying off. Here is wishing everyone a late Happy New Year and for my readers in the Toronto Area lots of fun in the snow; I know we enjoyed playing outside this morning after breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment