Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Vegan / Gluten Free Flax Seeds Crackers

For Christmas this year we got a Excalibur dehydrator and I have been trying all sorts of things in it. One of my biggest success so far are these crackers. C monster will only eat them with cream cheese; however, that's a compromise that I am willing to make. I don't blame him, either, because these crackers are "the bomb" with a thin slice of 5 year old white cheddar. He likes these so much that when I prepared crackers for him the other day, and used some buckwheat crackers we had, he said "non mama, not those ones, the new ones".

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flax seeds
1 cup almonds
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots (washed)
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup hemp seeds
2 stalks celery (washed)
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons nori granules

Directions:

In a large bowl combine flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds; cover with boiling hot water and let sit for 2 hours.

In a small bowl do the same with almonds.



After the soaking is done place seeds mixture in a large sieve and drain extra water; their probably wont be much.

Combine in food processor almonds, carrots, parsley, celery, lemon juice, salt and nori; process using 15 - 30 second pulses until well combined and minced. You may need to stop and scrape the sides of the food processor from time to time.

Now combine both mixtures and mix well.



Line your dehydrator trays (approximately 4) with the paraflex-style sheets; then spread mixture 1/4" thick. Place in your dehydrator at 145F for 2-3 hours. Then remove the paraflex sheets and continue dehydrating at 115F for 6-8 hours.



Note: Recipe is a modification of "Almond and Seed Crackers" from Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine.

1 comment:

  1. When I first tasted these, I wasn't sure how I felt about them, but I quickly grew to quite like them. It's interesting to have a cracker that has no wheat (or similar grain) in it at all. I'm not sure that this would replace every other cracker for me -- there might be some situations where I don't like these, but so far they're fitting the bill anywhere I've tried them.

    ReplyDelete